Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Member of the Month!

==================================================================

It's Wednesday! That means you've made it half way through the week, and you deserve a pat on the back. Or some chocolate. Definitely some chocolate.

I'm happy to announce our first Bookishly Delighted Spotlight member, the lovely Kari!



I'm going to embarrass the heck out of her for a second, and tell you that she's a hilarious and absolutely amazing person! We actually met on Twitter when our mutual love of books, and her love of promoting authors, led us to work together on a book tour website. The rest, as they say, is history!

We've never actually met in person, mind you. We do however chat on the phone as often as our crazy lives will allow, and Kari regales me with stories about her adorable (and totally manipulative... damn those eyes...) dog, Toby.

I'll shut up now and get to her interview. Later on in the month Kari has worked to orchestrate a surprise for you all, and then you'll see a list of some of her favorite books! Here on Bookishly Delighted, we love our members. It's the truth.





* If you had to describe yourself in just one word, what would it be?
Ridiculous.


* Okay now that you have us in suspense, elaborate! Why did you pick that specific word?
Because it seemed a little egotistical to simply say "Kari" even though that probably sums it up. And "Ab-addicted" seems like it's technically two words. Also, I really am my own brand of ridiculous. And I wonder where my dog gets it from. Huh.


* Inquiring minds want to know, why did you join Bookishly Delighted?
Jessica made me. No, not really. Well, probably kind of. But also, I'm a huge book nerd, and I always love to talk about books, especially ones I am really in to.


* What's your favorite type of book to get lost in?
Something that will rip my heart out. Funny and happy are great and all, but I really loved to be sucked in, so emotionally invested and probably almost in physical pain for what the character(s) are going through that I just can't walk away until I'm done. and even then usually I end up thinking about them for days after I'm done. Bonus points if the book makes me cry - I rarely do.


* Do you have any other bookish hobbies besides participating in the book club?
I'm an Assistant Editor for Heather Howland at Entangled Publishing. It's pretty much the best job ever. I get to read books by writers I love, and help shape them and make them better, and get paid for it. I edit YA, NA, and category romances (both Brazen - high heat woo! and the upcoming Lovestruck line). I also spend way too much time playing with and fighting with my dog, Toby, who is the cutest little brat on the face of the planet. He drives me crazy, but I can't imagine life without him. He's also almost 16, and has a huge spleen mass that will likely end up rupturing eventually, but I'm in denial about all that. 


* Where might we find you reading?
In my bed. Or in my recliner. Sometimes at my desk. 


* Who's your favorite male lead in a book? Your favorite female lead?
I think I'll have to go with Travis from Something Like Normal by Trish Doller. He's so freaky sexy to me, and there is something so honestly unfiltered about his mindset ("I'm harder than trigonometry", I mean come on, so awesome). He's also a little bit broken, a whole lot of loyal and determined, and a crazy mess of awesome. I'm going to cheat on this one and say a super close second is Nate from Tempted by the Solider by Nicolette Day. I should say I did help edit this one, but this book has such a special place in my heart, and that's very largely due to Nate. He's so broken and in pain and such a freaking mess you just root so dang hard for him to finally get his head together. Full disclosure, this book even made me tear up. 

As for female lead... most definitely Alice from Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy (let it be said, Harvey is also in the top male leads list). Alice is prickly, and not really all that nice of a person, but she is so determined, and has this crazy strength, and dang it she was given a really crappy hand and she actually does what so many of us only think about. I connected so hard to this girl, and had crazy respect for her, even when she was at her worst. (Which also means do not be shocked when this shows up in a future poll to pick the next month's book.)


* What are you reading right now?
2 submissions, and 1 manuscript to do first pass edit on - an upcoming Katee Robert book that I freaking love. I've got Beware the Wild by Natalie Parker cued up to read when I have some reading down time. 


* Any final thoughts?
I sadly don't get to participate as much as I'd like, since between my day job in medicine and the editing, I keep pretty busy. But if you follow me on twitter (@flamingo1325) I can promise a ridiculous amount of pictures of hot men (hey, I have to inspire my romance authors!), my crazy awesome adorable rotten dog, and the drunk cupcakes I regularly bake. Yes. Drunk cupcakes. Cupcakes with various kinds of alcohol in them. They are pretty awesome.



Toby says thanks for stopping by to read about Kari! 
Also he wants you to bring him treats. Lots and lots of treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment